Skills & Talents
Links & Resources
Facts & Trends
Careers in Financial Planning
and Wealth Management
Financial planners and wealth managers help individuals plan their financial futures. How are you going to cover your retirement needs?
What do you have to do today to put your children through college? This work can be personally and financially
rewarding and requires excellent interpersonal skills. A good financial planner understands investments, taxes,
estate planning issues and knows how to listen. This work can be done within a company such as IDS Financial Services
or by yourself, as a sole proprietorship. Most planners go solo or work within smaller practices.
It's essential then that you have a certain amount of entrepreneurship given that you will be running your own business.
The work pays well and is rewarding if you like to help people. Increasingly, it pays to obtain the
Planner (CFP) designation. An alternative designation popular outside of the United States is the
Chartered Wealth Manager. The job outlook for this profession is considered to be good and
it is expected that career opportunities and salaries will grow substantially in the next decade.
- Outlook for Financial Planners from the BLS.
- A current write-up from the BLS on the outlook for financial planners.
- Financial Planning Careers Balance Money and People
- Minnepolis Star Tribune, March 2007.
- How to Become A Successful Financial Consultant
- by Jim Ainsworth
- Jim Ainsworth is an extremely successful financial planning professional with more than 30 years in the business.
In How to Become a Successful Financial Consultant, he tells you everything you need to know to move into financial consulting.
He familiarizes you with all the types of
planning that financial consultants deal with, as well as the various investment vehicles.
- The Complete Idiot's Guide to Success as a Personal Financial Planner
- by John Napolitano
- Financial planning is one of the fastest growing careers in America today. Written by a veteran certified financial planning expert,
this valuable book tells aspiring and new CFPs everything you need to know about the certification process,
setting up private practice, self-marketing techniques, client management and expansion, and much more.
- So You Want to Become a Financial Planner: Your Guide to a New Careers
- By Nancy Langdon Jones.
- A comprehensive step-by-step process for launching your career as a financial planner.
- Getting Started as a Financial Planner
- By Jeffrey Rattiner
- If you are trained and ready with the know-how and skills to be a financial planner,
but could use some help getting your professional practice together, here's the book you need.
- Questions Great Financial Advisors Ask... and Investors Need to Know
- By Alan Parisse and David Richman
- The Million-Dollar Financial Services Practice:
A Proven System for Becoming a Top Producer
- By David Mullen
- Advisor for Life: Become the Financial Advisor to Affluent Families
- By Stephen Gresham
- Financial Planning Association
- Works with the Certified Financial Planner designation.
- Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards
- Promotes the CFP and associated ethical standards.
- Understanding Wall Street
- by Jeffrey Little
- National Association of Personal Financial Advisors
- Association for fee-only personal financial planning.
- SEC Guide to Financial Planners
- Kiplinger Forum on Financial Planning Careers
- A good discussion on companies that hire financial planners.
- Join the Financial Planner Alliance on LinkedIn
- Good Information
- Wikipedia Guide to Financial Planners
- Provides information on the career opportunity in many countries around the globe.
Blogs and Talk
Career Links for Financial Planners
- Find Job Listings on thousands of job sites with one search. Provided by
Indeed.com, "a one stop shop for job seekers" (Wall Street Journal).
Firms that Hire Financial Planners
"People often confuse financial planning with investing, but financial planning is much broader than that."
Noel Maye, CEO of the Financial Planning Standards Board